Shrimpin all over the World

Apparently all I did during my 10 days off from work was cook. It's ok though, it just means I can blog more! I promise to do some non-food related blogs soon since I've been going crazy in the kitchen! For some reason, I eat like a pregnant person. I get weird cravings and eat strange foods all the time. Plus, I REALLY love pickles. One afternoon I had a strange craving for this shrimp curry soup thing that my sister created on a whim, so I made my own shrimp curry dish with what we had in stock.

I call it Shrimp Around the World since it pulls influences from a few different cultures (careful though, it's spicy). We usually have the big bags of frozen, precooked shrimp in our freezer, so I kind of cheated in that aspect. Oh well, it's still delicious! If you aren't a huge fan of curry, don't worry. The curry flavor in this dish is strong enough that you can detect it, but light enough that you aren't over powered by it.


Shrimp Around the World (for 4 people)
24 Frozen shrimp, peeled, deveined, and precooked
8oz whole wheat spaghetti
1/4 cup Sriracha
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 Tbl oil, separated
1 Tbl garlic powder
1 Tbl cayenne pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 Tbl curry powder
1/2 Tbl red pepper flakes
3/4 cup light cream
1/2 cup Pecorino Romano

Boil 6 cups of water and cook and drain the spaghetti.

Mix together the Sriracha, soy sauce, and 1 Tbl oil in a plastic Ziploc bag. Place your defrosted shrimp* without tails into the bag. Mix the bag up so every shrimp is coated. Let sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together the garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, and curry in a shallow dish.

Heat 1 Tbl oil in a nonstick skillet on medium-high. Coat one side of each shrimp in the spice mix, then place in the skillet. Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes (remember: the shrimp is already cooked). When the shrimp is done, set aside in a bowl. Turn the heat on the skillet down to low and after 2 minutes, add the light cream. Mix it around with a wisk so you get the flavors and leftover spices from the shrimp. Add the red pepper flakes and the cheese and stir.

Finally, add the pasta into the sauce and mix with tongs. Place the shrimp back into the completed dish and voila! You can now enjoy your Shrimp Around the World :)


*To defrost the shrimp, place in a microwave-safe bowl lined with paper towels and microwave on auto defrost (if you have it) until the shrimp is no longer frozen, just a bit chilled. You can also plan this dish ahead of time and defrost the shrimp in the fridge overnight.


Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 446 per serving
Total Fat: 21.3g
Cholesterol: 104mg
Sodium: 1,404.4mg
Carbohydrates: 50.5g
Protein: 20.6g

Popular Posts