Chicken and Spinach Soup

Fall is upon us, which means that we can eat soup every day without anyone looking at us funny. I am extremely picky when it comes to soup, which is why I prefer to make it myself. I've actually never made chicken soup before but I had time on my hands so I figured, why not!

Chicken and Spinach Soup

Ingredients (makes 6 servings):
1 chicken breast, cut into cubes or bite sized pieces
2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
2 cups of water
3 garlic cloves
1 white onion, diced
1 10oz bag of frozen spinach (I used about 8oz)
1 14oz can of cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
1 14oz can of sliced stewed tomatoes
1 rind/heel from romano or parmesan cheese (or 1/2 tsp salt)
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tbl olive oil

Directions:
Heat oil in a large soup pot and add garlic and onions. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add broth and water and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add the spinach, tomatoes, cheese/salt, and spices and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chicken and beans, cover the pot, and let sit for an hour so the chicken gets cooked and the flavors come together.


Enjoy :)

Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 121
Total Fat: 4.3g
Cholesterol: 17mg
Sodium: 313mg
Carbohydrates: 10.8g
Fiber: 3.4g
Sugars: 2.4g
Protein: 9.4g

Popular Posts