Tilapia Burgers

Last night was my night to cook and I wanted to try something new. Originally I was going to make tuna burgers (since I had one from Naked Fish and was inspired to make it taste better), but the nice guy behind the seafood counter at the store said that there are currently problems with the tuna in Massachusetts. I settled for tilapia instead (since eating tilapia is good for the environment!). 

I looked at Food Network's website, as well as some random links that Google led me too, and picked some flavors and ingredients that I wanted to incorporate in my burgers. As an added bonus, for the first time, I actually took pictures of the process and the final result of my meal! My mom and I loved these, and even my dad, who does not like fish, said I did a great job!

Tilapia Burgers (makes 6)

Burger Ingredients (makes 6 burgers):
1 1/2 lbs tilapia, diced into very small pieces (you can use tuna, flounder, or cod)
1/4 cup scallions, diced
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp old bay seasoning
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbl low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard 
1 egg, beaten in separate container
1/2 C plain bread crumbs
2 tbl olive oil (I use extra light)
6 whole wheat burger buns

Sriracha Mayo:
1/3 C light mayo
2 tbl Sriracha
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
Dice your fish and scallions, beat your egg in a separate container, and 
combine all of your burger ingredients (except for the oil and buns) into a large mixing bowl.


Mix it all up by hand until you get this nice mixture, just as if you were making meatballs.


Heat a large skillet to medium and add your oil. Form 6 evenly sized 
burger patties and cook 3 at a time for 4 minutes on each side.


While your burgers are cooking, mix together your ingredients to make
 the Sriracha mayo which will top all of your burgers.

Your patties should be a nice golden brown on each side when they are done. Spread a tablespoon of mayo on each burger top and assemble those burgers! Feel free to get creative with the toppings. Lettuce, tomato, or caramelized onions are just a few that would make this burger even more delicious!

Nutrition Facts for 1 burger (not including bun or toppings):
Calories: 246
Total fat: 9g
Cholesterol: 100.2mg
Sodium: 539.3mg
Carbohydrates: 9.5g
Fiber: 0.6g
Sugars: 1.7g
Protein: 32.4g


Enjoy :)








Popular Posts