Mexican Pork and Beans

I love Guy Fieri. His food looks delicious, he has a great personality, and I envy the crap out of his job on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. I was watching Guy's Big Bite a few Sundays ago, and in the episode "Surf and Turf Tacos," he made Mexican pork and beans as a side dish. My mouth watered, so I decided that making his dish would be added to my to-do list. I finally got a chance last night and I loved it! Super easy, tons of flavor, and very filling.

Mexican Pork and Beans


Ingredients (serves 4):
4oz Mexican Chorizo (I actually used Portuguese Chourico which is very similar)
Canola Oil for greasing pan (about 2 Tbl)
½ cup water
1 clove garlic, minced
½ jalapeno, minced (I took the seeds and veins out so my dad could eat it)
1 Tbl Cumin
2 15.5oz cans black beans (keep the water from 1 can)
Juice of ½ a lime
S+P
½ C crumbled cotija cheese

Directions:
Heat a medium sauce pan over medium heat and add the canola oil. Remove the casings from the chorizo and cut or crumble into smaller pieces. Add the chorizo and use a spoon to break into even smaller bites as it heats. Add the minced garlic and jalapeno. Allow the chorizo to cook and render for 4-5 minutes. When the oil is fragrant and red, add the cumin and black beans, including the liquid from 1 can. Add ½ cup of water, bring to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. Add the lime juice and season with S+P to finish. Serve in a bowl and top with cotija cheese (my dad put shredded Mexican blend cheese on his...still.

The original recipe calls for  cilantro as an additional garnish but our house is a cilantro-free zone (my mom has that common issue where it tastes like soap to her). You can serve this as a side dish by itself, with chips, wrapped in a tortilla, or over a bed of rice. 

Nutritional Facts:
Calories: 467
Total fat: 25.9g
Cholesterol: 50mg
Sodium: 633mg
Carbohydrates: 37.2g
Fiber: 9.3g
Sugars: 1.7g
Protein: 21.4g

Enjoy :)

Popular Posts