Italian Sausage Soup

I really didn't know what to call this one. It has sausage, vegetables, pasta, and some great Italian flavors. I actually never liked Italian sausage, only the versions presented by other countries, such as kielbasa, chorizo, chourico, linguica, etc., until very recent (and I'm quite happy about it). It's been helping me get through this week and I look forward to having it for lunch every day! You can easily substitute the sausage for ground turkey, beef, chicken, pork, or lamb, if you also do not like Italian sausage.


Italian Sausage Soup


Ingredients (makes about 8 servings):
1lb ground Italian sausage
16oz sliced mushrooms (I used 8oz each of white and baby bellos)
1 large white onion
1/2 cup diced carrots
4 cloves garlic, diced
1 9oz bag of fresh spinach
8oz pasta (I used Dreamfields Rotini)
4 cups chicken stock
1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup white wine (I had pinot grigio on hand)
1 Tbl olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 Tbl garlic powder
1 Tbl fresh sage, diced
1 Tbl fresh rosemary, diced
2 tsp fresh Thyme
S+P

Directions:
Heat olive oil in a big pot over medium high. Add the ground sausage and cook until browned. Add mushrooms, onions, and carrots and cook for about 7 minutes. Add the diced garlic, dry herbs, and fresh herbs and cook for about 3 minutes. Add in the spinach and mix until it is all wilted. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, wine, and pasta. Turn down to low and cook for about an hour. Finish it off with 1 tsp each of salt and pepper.

I highly suggest topping off your soup with some fresh parmesan cheese!


Enjoy :)


Popular Posts