Blackened Salmon with Pineapple Salsa

March can be such a drag (even though it's my birthday month), but it also kicks off spring! Spring is colorful when it comes to not only flowers, but food as well! So many delicious fruits and vegetables are in season, and I like to take advantage of that when I cook.

I try to cook healthy during the week, and this blackened salmon dinner turned out to be SO tasty. It's fresh, spicy, acidic, and comforting all in one.

Blackened Salmon with Pineapple Salsa


Ingredients (serves 2):
6oz salmon, cut into two portions, skin removed
*Blackening/Cajun seasoning (see below)
1 cup pineapple, cubed
2 large tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup red onion, minced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
S&P
Hot sauce (optional)
Canola/Vegetable oil

Salsa Directions:

The day before you plan to eat the salmon, make the salsa! It tastes much better after sitting in the fridge for a few hours. Combine pineapple, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper, and a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce. 

Salmon Directions:

Heat a skillet to medium heat with a small amount of canola/vegetable oil. A cast iron skillet works best, or you can also grill the salmon! Coat either side of the salmon in the blackening spice mix. Use your hands to really make sure the seasoning will stick (you want to make sure every part of the surface of the fish is coated in seasoning). Cook the salmon about 3 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the fish. I like my salmon a bit more on the medium side, so I cooked my 1/2 inch think pieces for 2.5 minutes per side. 

I served my salmon with asparagus (cooked in a skillet with salt, pepper, and garlic powder) and cilantro lime quinoa! I just made 1 cup of quinoa and added the juice and zest of 1 lime and about 2 Tbl of chopped cilantro. I seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. 



Enjoy :)



*Blackening Seasoning(I make a big batch to use on multiple recipes):
2 Tbl paprika
1 tsp salt (most recipes call for a lot more so go with your preference)
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper (use less if spice is not your friend)
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano

Mix to combine and store in a air tight container (like a mini mason jar).

Popular Posts