Salsa Verde Soup with Spinach and White Beans

It's cold.

It snowed yesterday, on November 2nd, and I was NOT happy about it! I would have stayed in my bed where it was warm, but I had to get out to save the children of America. No really though, I coach at a learn to skate program on Sunday mornings.

As soon as I left the rink I went straight to Hannaford's (which, let's be honest, is the best grocery store ever...even when they run out of scallions) to get ingredients to make ZUPPA. I had read a few "white chicken chili" recipes and I combined all of the ideas in my head with a few on Pinterest and came up with this delicious and easy masterpiece!

Salsa Verde Soup with Spinach and White Beans
Straight up crockin'

Ingredients (serves 6ish):
6 cups chicken stock
2 15.5oz cans of white beans, rinsed and drained (I found mini white beans and they are SO CUTE)
1 10oz bag frozen chopped spinach
2 whole uncooked chicken breasts (either frozen or thawed, it doesn't matter)
2 cups salsa verde (I used Goya, but you can always use this)
1 cup frozen corn
1 Tbl cumin
1 Tbl garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
S+P to taste
2 large or 4 small jalapenos, chopped (optional)
Fresh cilantro, avocado, and scallions/chives work as great toppings!

Directions:

Crock pot:
Put everything except your toppings into the crock pot. Cook on low 6-8 hours, shredding the chicken within the last hour. Serve a bowl and top with fresh ingredients.

Stove top:
Add the chicken stock and seasonings to a large pot with the chicken. Bring up to a boil, cook for 10 minutes, and bring down to a simmer. Add everything except your toppings and bring down to a simmer. Cooke for about 30 minutes, shredding the chicken in the last 10. Serve and top with fresh ingredients. Feel free to start with fresh onions and garlic too!

If you want a thicker soup, make a slurry and add in the last 30 minutes of crockin' or the last 10 minutes of cooking on the stove top. A slurry consists of equal parts corn starch and water, finely mixed together with a spoon. I usually do 1 Tbl of each, but this is a large recipe and can handle 2 Tbl.


Enjoy :)

Popular Posts