Spicy Chickpea Soup

I recently had a spicy chickpea and black bean soup from Flour Bakery. It was amazing. I wanted to try to recreate it as closely as possible and I think I did a pretty great job! I dipped pita in it but I wish it was grilled cheese. Maybe tomorrow when I eat it for lunch!

Spicy Chickpea Soup

Ingredients (serves 6):
1 15oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup of frozen corn
1 14.5oz can of petite diced tomatoes
4 cups of vegetable stock
1/4 cup of diced red onion
1-2 cloves of diced garlic
1 diced jalapeno/Serrano pepper with seeds
1 Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl butter
S+P
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Directions:
Heat a large pot on medium and add oil, butter, onions, and your pepper. Cook for about 8 minutes or until the onions are relatively translucent. Add your garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Turn heat to simmer. Add your spices, stir, and let sit for another minutes. Add your beans and corn, stir, and let sit for 2 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and canned tomatoes with the liquid. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes to 2 hours.

I added a bit of fresh cilantro to mine in the end since cilantro and black beans are best friends.

Enjoy :)

Nutrition facts (for 1 serving):
Calories: 185
Total Fat: 5.4g
Cholesterol: 5.1mg
Sodium: 984mg
Carbohydrates: 30.4g
Fiber: 6.5g
Sugars 3.3g
Protein: 7.5g

Popular Posts