Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Sandwich

I'm really picky about breakfast when it comes to dining out. I only go to places that have huevos rancheros since my pallet likes to be awakened by strong flavors in the morning. I got a hankering for my favorite breakfast the other morning and decided to make a sandwich out of it since I had no tortillas.

Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Sandwich
I'm getting better, right?

Ingredients (for 1):
1 English muffin (I use Thomas's 100 calorie)
1 Tbl butter, separated
1/2 of a ripe avocado
1/2 cup black beans
1 egg
1/4 cup of cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
1 Tbl salsa or diced tomatoes
Hot sauce (optional)
s+p
Cumin

Directions:
First comes the beans. Heat 1/2 of the butter in a skillet and add the beans. Cook on medium high for a few minutes until the shell part starts to fall away from the bean. Blend with an immersion blender/food processor/regular blender until it becomes more of a paste. Add a dash of cumin as well as some salt and pepper to the beans. 

Toast your English muffin. While it is toasting, smash your avocado with a fork and add your salsa/tomatoes, hot sauce, and a bit of salt and pepper. 

Heat the remaining butter in a skillet on medium high and add your egg. I prefer over easy, so I cook it until the edges are no longer translucent (about 30 seconds) and then flip it with my super skills (no spatula). Melt the cheese on your egg and remove from heat after it is melted. 

For assembly: Spread the bean mixture on the bottom of the muffin. Place the egg on top of the beans. Spread the avocado mixture on the top of the muffin. Assemble sandwich and put pressure on it for a lava flow of delicious yellow yolk.


Enjoy!

No nutrition facts because 1. I'm scared to know and 2. who cares, it' weekend brunch!

Popular Posts