Sunday Cravings

I try to be productive on Sundays, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. I managed to do laundry this past Sunday but didn't quite make it to the grocery store and I didn't make any food for the week. I was really in the mood for Kraft Mac and Cheese (or Annie's) but neither myself nor my roommates had any. I could have walked 0.2 miles down to the quick mart but I ended up just making it from scratch. 

I've done mac and cheese in the crock pot before but I did not have the patience for that. Scratch mac is super easy and quick if you don't do the whole bread crumb topping-bake in the oven procedure. This is by no means one of my healthy dishes but everyone deserves to go crazy every once in a while!

Sunday Mac and Cheese

Ingredients (serves 1):
1/2 cup of whatever pasta you have on hand (I had whole wheat shells)
1 Tbl flour
1 Tbl butter
1/2 cup milk (I used 1%)
1/4 cup cheddar (I used Cabot Seriously Sharp)
1/4 cup Parmesan or Pecorino (really makes a huge difference!)
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
Boil water and add your pasta. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, in deep saute pan, melt the butter. Whisk in your flour until combined and a bit clumpy looking. Add the milk and cook on medium high. When the milk/roux mixture is to your desired thickness, add the cheese and spices. Drain your pasta and add it directly into the sauce. Put it in a bowl and devour. 

Easy, cheesy, and so good. I probably used way more cheese than I should have but I don't regret eating this one bit! I'm not going to list the nutrition facts since I really don't want to know how many calories I ate!


Enjoy :)

Popular Posts