Mexican Rice

I love having healthy, well-rounded side dishes. Since I had tacos tonight, I had to have beans and rice on the side. I added a good amount of veggies, a lot of flavor, and cooked the rice the night before to save time. I learned a new way to cook brown rice since I have never loved the consistency when I have made it in the past and I will never go back to my old ways.

(Sorry for the awful pattern on my counter top...we rent our apartment clearly) 

Mexican Rice (serves 6):
2 Tbl oil
1 cup brown rice
2.5 ounces (or 2 cups) fresh spinach
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small can diced green chilies 
1 small yellow onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup taco seasoning (either homemade or store bought)
1/4 cup chicken stock

Brown rice cooking directions:
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add 1 cup of rice. Turn down to medium and cook uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain the rice and add back to the pot. Cover tightly and steam over no heat for 10 minutes.

Mexican rice directions:
Heat oil over medium high and add onions and red bell peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes and add spinach. Stir until wilted, the add beans and green chilies. Cook for 2 minutes, turn heat to low, and add the cooked rice and chicken stock. When the rice mixture is warmed through, add the taco seasoning and mix thoroughly. 


Enjoy :)


Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 145 per serving
Total Fat: 5.2g
Sodium: 66.2g
Carbohydrates: 20.1g
Fiber: 4.8g
Sugars: .9g
Protein: 5.1g

Popular Posts