Award Winning Southwestern Chili

Most people look forward to Christmas, their birthday, or Thanksgiving every year. Me? I look forward to the annual chili cook off held at a family friend's house. Dozens of different types of chili, a lot of margaritas and or sangria, jalapeno popper dip, and (believe it or not) the best home made pizza I've ever had (which I have the recipe for and will ask for permission to post). I've never brought my own chili since it is typically one per household and I have lived with my parents in previous years. This year, since I am part of a new household of 3 post-grads, I have decided to make my own chili. I've never made it before, and I kind of just thought of it when I was sitting at work one day twiddling my thumbs. We can only hope for the best and add dollop after dollop of sour cream.



Spicy Southwestern Chili


Ingredients: (it seems like a lot but the bottom half you should have on hand)
1 lb of extra lean ground turkey

1/2-1 lb ground chorizo (taken out of the casing)
1 10oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15.5 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed

12-15 oz corn (either fresh, canned, or frozen)
1 large Spanish white onion, diced
1 medium red onion, diced
2 red bell peppers, diced
2 jalapeƱos, diced

1 Serrano pepper
3-4 cans various tomatoes (diced, smashed, puree)
1 7oz can chipotle in adobo, dice the chipotle and keep the sauce
1/2 cup Brown sugar
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup cumin
2 Tbl garlic powder
2 tsp mustard powder
S+P to taste

My favorite toppings: sour cream, scallions, sharp cheddar cheese, and chips to dip of course!


Nutrition Facts (per 1 cup):

Calories: 209
Total Fat: 6.1g
Cholesterol: 26.6mg
Sodium: 850.2mg
Carbohydrates: 30.3g
Fiber: 4.5g
Sugars: 11.6g
Protein: 11.3g
Enjoy :)

Popular Posts